Friday, May 15, 2009

Just when you think NOTHING is getting through...

you have a major BREAK THROUGH moment with the cute lil' punksters.

I was getting everyone in bed the other night and I had just turned on Carter's night light and lullabies. Then I went about my usuall nighttime routine of cleaning the kitchen, finishing the laundry, putting all the toys away, ect. blah, ect. At this point it is past 10, and my darling qt pie, Carter comes sheepishly into the kitchen. My first response was "get back in bed, Carter!" Then he says, "but I want a pear". I am totally confused and bleary eyed, just wanting my ds to go back to bed. I say, "a pear? Honey we don't have any pears, and it is too late anyway." He gets very distraught, and starts to cry, saying I want a pear, I want a pear! Again, I say, Honey, I don't understand, what kind of pear are you talking about? He looks at me and says THIS KIND, MOMMY! And he folds his arms and bows his head. Ahhhhhhhh. My heart melted. Here I was scolding him, and all he wanted was a prayer. In my daze, I had forgotten the goodnight prayer with Carter, which is not hard to "accidentally" forget, because he never folds his arms or stays quiet during prayers. You have to stop 20 times and say SHHHH or FOLD YOUR ARMS, or STOP KICKING! I guess he really does get. I won't "forget" anymore.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Cute! What a great little pat on the back for you. I love those little moments where as a parent you kind of get a nudge that says, "See... you are doing an okay job." Even though he may not seem to pay attention all of the time, he gets it! You'll have to write that in his journal / scrapbook/ whatever you do. :) He'll love to hear that story.